4 minutes reading time Spain
An ancient island with unearthly “lunar landscapes” is the popular tourist attraction on The Canary Islands. The Spanish island offers a lot of interesting and fascinating activities, enjoyable food, and luxurious places to stay.
Lanzarote was created by geological and tectonic processes inside of our planet more than twenty-two millions of years ago. All these tectonic processes that take place there made the landscapes of Lanzarote look very out of this world. If you decided to spend your vacation here, prepare to explore more Martian than Earthly views.
How to get to Lanzarote
The best way to get to the island is to fly to the capital of the Canary Archipelago, Tenerife. Once you are there, you can fly to the biggest city in Lanzarote, Arrecife. From there it is very easy to rent a car or take a bus to the resort that you have chosen.
Another interesting way to get to the Lanzarote is by sea. There are several ports on the island so you can use the best way to get to your accommodation on Lanzarote.
Interesting sites on the island
- Timanfaya National Park. Astonishing Mountains of Fire will help you to dive into the magnificent world of volcanoes. You can also explore the park on camels! This is one of the most unique places that you can visit on this planet, so we encourage you not to miss this opportunity.
- Jardín de Cactus. A stunning park that was created by the most famous artist and citizen of Lanzarote César Manrique. It is the work of art, where you can find more than 1500 varieties of different exotic cactuses. Amazing rock sculptures and stone walking paths will make your vacation stand out. This place is perfect for couples.
- Museum of aloe vera. Speaking of unique places — Lanzarote offers you to spend a day in a fascinating world of aloe vera. You will learn about all the healing, therapeutic properties, and history of this plant. The museum is open all year and you can visit it for free.
What to do in Lanzarote
- Rent a car. As was mentioned earlier, Lanzarote is famous for its very beautiful and unearthly landscaping. You can observe the dunes of solidified lava that looks like the moon fields. We highly recommend you to rent a car if you are interested in the most full adventure on this island.
- Fuerteventura Water Park. Spend a great day with your kids and significant other in this huge and splendid waterpark. Mind-blowing slides and thrilling attractions are perfect for a great winter or summer holiday with children.
- Birdwatching. There are some very rare and interesting species of birds you can find across the Lanzarote, so birdwatching can be a very exciting adventure there.
- Sailing. Island is one thing, but wait until you see the ocean in all its glory. Sailing is a fabulous opportunity to explore sea life and spend an amazing day with your family, bonding over the shared adventure.
- Wine tasting tours. Lanzarote has a very fertile ground that provides a perfect field for growing the best grapes in the world. That is why, one of the most important and, of course, indelible activities you can enjoy there is wine tasting. Superb wines of Lanzarote has an extraordinary world-class flavor palette. Usually, you can book an excursion with a traditional dinner included, so we recommend you to take it without hesitation.
Delicious local foods
Spain is known for its amazing and incredibly delicious cuisine. The Canary Islands has an interesting spin at this cuisine so you should try traditional dishes while you visiting Lanzarote.
- Mojo. Traditional sauce made of different herbs, peppers, and even cheese. Often the recipe is a secret, but you should not be worried about that. The taste should be your only concern.
- Estofado. A tasty traditional stew with plenty of meat and potatoes. A palette of amazing spices warms you up a lot that is why Estofado is perfect comfort food.
- Limpets. The locals call this dish Lapas and we can assure you it tastes amazing! The freshest limpets with delicious mojo, usually baked or grilled, can be a highlight of your food adventure in Lanzarote.
- Papas Arrugadas. Wrinkled potatoes with an unusual flavor that is served with mojo on the side. Those potatoes are boiled in very salted water which gives it a superb taste.