4 minutes reading time Australia
Australian biggest treasure — The Great Barrier Reef and Whitehaven Beach
The Great Barrier Reef is a highly valued treasure of humankind. This nature’s wonder became a home for thousands of fish and other marine species. Nice and warm water, excellent conditions for living and feeding, and here we are — Barrier Reef became a natural reserve for all these beautiful underwater creatures.
The Great Barrier Reef is stretching over the area of approximately 133 000 square miles and consists of a lot of different islands and small individual reefs. One of the best places where you can explore the beauty of this fantastic nature`s thing is on the world-famous Whitehaven beach.
About the Whitehaven Beach
This famous beach got its name because of its blindingly white sands formed by, you guessed it, remains of corals from the Great Barrier Reef. Whitehaven is located on the island of Whitsunday and covers about seven kilometers of the white and gorgeous beachline. It is so stunning that this beach won “the most beautiful beach in the world” award repeatedly.
The significant distinction of the sand here is its amazing ability to stay comfortably warm and never hot even during the hottest of summer months. You can lay on the beach in January (remember that in Australia, summer begins in December) and be completely relaxed. But surely, wear a damn good SPF during your trip, because of the ozone holes. WARNING! Some kinds of SPF creams can harm corals in the Reef or marine life. Be sure to check with your guide or local authorities about the safest alternative for you.
What else to do on Whitehaven Beach
Whitehaven offers its tourist many options to spend quality time there. But how you will get there in the first place? The easiest path for you is to get to the Whitsunday island from Hamilton island or Shute Harbour. Also, you can hire a boat on Airlie beach. If Whitehaven is the final destination of your trip, we advise you to book a tour beforehand, to explore this place in the best way.
So you have got there. What should you do next? Here is a couple of our suggestions on what to do on Whitehaven beach.
- Take a little cruise around the island. Apart from the beautiful beach, Whitsunday island can offer you a lot of cool views and a fascinating thing to observe. On most cruises, you can learn the history of the island and various interesting facts about the Great Barrier Reef. Educational and breath-taking — this kind of excursion is what we call great.
- Stay for a night on the beach to have a star dance above your head. Camping on the beach is a good option for you to watch stars and to connect with nature. It is a beautiful experience to sleep in the middle of the wilderness with your family, significant other, or just by yourself.
- Be a part of a sailing adventure. If you are fond of sailing, we are glad to tell you that Whitehaven beach offers you the option to sail on the world’s fastest sailing catamarans. It is a fun adventure that should not be missed while you are there.
Whitehaven Beach and The Great Barrier Reef
This beach is an excellent spot for beginners and experienced divers to explore the Great Barrier Reef. The beauty of marine life opens in front of you to the full extent. Take activities we are talking about below to achieve the best experience imaginable.
- Snorkeling. Relaxed and beginner-friendly snorkeling can be a great option during boat trips or cruises. Sail away from the beach and dive into the clear blue waters of the ocean to witness all the beautiful creatures under the sea.
- Diving. This is your chance to see a large exotic turtle or big shoals of fish swimming by your side. Diving in the Great Barrier Reef is a unique experience, and you should definitely try it while visiting Australia. You can hire a professional diver to walk you through this adventure, or do it yourself if you have experience. Be sure to check with local authorities if you need any permission before beginning diving.
- Boat trips. Thanks to the clear waters, you can see marine life and corals even from the boat. Taking a boat trip and combining it with snorkeling or diving experience can be the best option for you.